Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Palm Beach here I come...

So I booked the hotel today and paid for the airplane tickets, lets just say everybody’s stocking is going to be a bit lighter this year thanks to Billy Collins. Thanks to everyone who left kind notes below. Whenever I go to these sorts of things I start to feel slightly nerotic b/c I don’t have a MFA. You don’t even want to visit this blog if I get into Breadloaf. But once I actually get there I am fine.

Dorrianne offered to get me into her MFA program in Oregon but I turned her down so I don’t even know if it is the issue of the degree. Writing is such a private thing at times, going to a conference is like getting naked with a whole bunch of strangers. There are good parts to it and times where you go, you know I really didn’t want to see that.

I am curious about what other people think about writing conferences. Are they needed? Is it possible to really learn anything about poetry in such a short time? Or is it more a money making thing than anything else. It is also leads me to realize how many people are shut out of these thing because of the financial factor. Split Rock (which was amazing) paid for the whole conference in August. I would not have been able to go without it, of course I had to prepare a manuscript for them.

Still I am wondering what all this adds up to, if I am not better off to rent a cabin somewhere and just write for a week then I am to jet down to Florida. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

T, I always come back from workshops/conferences invigorated and excited about poetry.

Retreats are wonderful, too, and valuable in these here parts. The change of scene and the blissful quiet is very conducive for my writing. Do both!

early hours of sky said...

okay I will do both, the children will be arriving at your house in about a week. Be careful when you open the box.

Suzanne said...

*lol*

I've got my own Thing One & Thing Two, thank you very much.

early hours of sky said...

Yes but they could be friends and the chaos of two is not that different then the chaos of four. Think of all the wonderful poetry "the things" would inspire:)