Saturday, July 02, 2005

Sometimes you just need to sing

Last night I watched Callas Forever a movie about opera singer Maria Callas. It was amazing. It really dealt with some of the struggles of being a great artist plus I got to hear Carmen sung, the way it should be sung.

Lately, I keep thinking about what Elizabeth Alexander said to me when we were discussing this in between time of being a writer. She said this was my season to think about what kind of artist I wanted to be, what kind of being. I am doing that a lot lately, thinking about what kind of Teresa I am. What kind of Teresa I want to become. Sometimes it seems that easy—that all you have to do is open your mouth and sing.

2 comments:

Pris said...

That sounds like a movie to put on my list. She's a fabulous artist. Yes, can see the parallels in writing. Not just mastering the craft, but taking the chance to be who you really are in your art.

early hours of sky said...

Yes rent it. It was wonderful and she is stunning.