Tuesday, January 18, 2005

News Flash: you make more money doing workshops than going to them. It seems I will not be able to attend Breadloaf at all because I’ve been asked to teach two workshops in August, the exact same time Breadloaf is. I struggled with it for a few days and then realized that one week teaching pays for my mortgage. The struggle was short lived.

Oh well. If anyone knows of a good conference in June, let me know. I am tired of talking about Florida so I won’t bore you. It seems the reading I am doing in February is for twenty minutes and they are sending me postcards to send to all my friends, twenty of them. Do I have that many friends? Should I feel bad, if I don't?

I also have to answer this question What poetry book published in the last twenty years do you keep returning to? Well hell, I return to a lot of books but for different reasons, it is really hard to pick just one. Any suggestions…

4 comments:

jose said...

You might consider a class at the Fine Arts Work Center in Provincetown (www.fawc.org). The Napa conference has a dynamite lineup of poets.

As for books, offhand Elizabeth Macklin's _Woman Kneeling in the Big City._

Unknown said...

Hey, what a great oppertunity for you! Congrats! You'll enjoy that. Better than going to Breadloaf imo. Check out Indiana University Writer's Conference. It's the first week of June, I think.

Anne Haines said...

Indiana's conference is indeed in June (June 5-10; http://www.indiana.edu/~writecon/ for details). I've been to several and it's usually okay if you get a workshop teacher you click with. They don't give you much time for writing though, if you want that. This year's workshop teachers are Kocher, Komunyakaa, and Stanton.

Seconded on the FAWC recommendation, though I think their first week of workshops is the last week of June. But there are some excellent poets there. (I will most likely be in D.A. Powell's revision class, though I'm still thinking of applying for Marie Howe's advanced workshop.)

I've also had very good experiences at the Iowa Summer Writing Festival, if you can stand Iowa City and manage to select the right workshop for you (there's usually quite a range).

Good luck! Oh yes, hi; I'm a random person randomly reading your blog. :)

Stuart Greenhouse said...

I know nothing about it beyond the brochure, but I've been eyeing the Wesleyan conference for a few years now. It runs 3rd week of June, I think.