Sunday, October 31, 2004

happy halloween

I am feeling better but now of course the girls both have colds. I even caught the cat sneezing today. Bella and Olivia went to a big party Friday night, while I drank red wine and read a book at home (I know poor me) and it seems Bella has the knack for door prizes. They had a basket filled with gourmet chocolate and of course my six year old was in heaven when she won…the basket weighs more than she does. That plus the loot she got tonight and we are looking at some serious dentist bills. It does seem wrong to waste godiva on a child and I am not above trading her a giant snickers for the basket. I know, bad, bad mom.
On a side note and to answer some of the emails I received, no in real life I don’t think Virginia was ugly, it just seemed that Nicole Kidman was made to look like crap. I don’t think I would have cast her in that role. Iris was one of the best writing movies I’ve ever seen so if you haven’t seen it, check it out. Kate Blanchett is in that one, I believe and I think they just made her out to look naked. Why does it seems that writers need to either be portrayed as sluts or shutins?????
I am getting the itch to write fiction. I read the short stories in the New England Review and it just seems that I have so many more stories in my head that haven’t been told by anyone. This is going to sound awful but I also think there are more talented poets out there than short story writers so the competion isnt so harsh. I would love to see a ratio. I know most journals get more poetry submissions than anything else. I know some people are poetry purists but I don’t think I am one. Poetry will always be my first love but I’ve been known to fool around a little. It seems narrow to me to say I only work in this medium. I think as artist we should continue to push ourselves to grow. Right now I am going push myself to bed….

1 comment:

Molly said...

I think it's nice when we cross genres, take on a new form, see how our words shape up in other ways.

(Is it weird to have me commenting on old entries? :) I like going back into old blogs, and I think so much you have to say rings so true for me!)