Monday, October 11, 2004

Yale and Bread

I am feeling better about the book. I don’t want to jinx myself and say it out loud but I don’t think a blog counts. I of course have been reading everything Glück has selected in a contest forum before the book goes off to Yale. I don’t think there is a chance in hell…she loves those strong male voices and I don’t mean that as an insult but it is true. She picks men and my book is very much me, and maybe there is a male bone in there somewhere but I can’t find it.
The reason I am feeling better is that I think I have finally figure out what Laux was talking about during the workshop this summer that we must write the poetry only we can write. There is something about claiming those words…like cowslip for me which is a part of my own childhood in Maine. I have a language only I know and the trick is to get it out on the page….oh hell, I sure hope I’m not jinxing myself. It has been nice to spend the last few days really writing and not feeling so stuck.
Oh and I decided to try for Breadloaf this year as Carolyn Forche suggested. Now time to stop playing and get to work….

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Treezaa! It's me, jenni! --grin-- I've been reading your poems at the box (I rarely comment cause I get hassled at that board for some reason) and I think you DO have a strong voice--I wouldn't say you're "trans" or anything (laughs) but I think the voice in your poetry is very much in control. Where are you reading this Gluck stuff? You know I love her, I've read every single collection of hers plus her poetics book. I probably will apply to breadloaf too, but I aint serving nobodies coffee! haha. I'll wait patiently for the rejection slip and throw a fit about it when it comes in the mail. Take care. Bog hugs! --jenni

LKD said...

This is why I'll never be a "real" poet, a working poet, a poet who gets published, who gets paid that handful of change (why-oh-why don't poets get paid more?) for my writing, TE. Damn, girl, it would never even occur to me to read the previous winners a judge had selected for any contest I was entering. That wipes me out to think of the kind of homework/hard work you've put into this. I keep thinking I'm finaly ready to submit my work, that I've finally reached a place of almost complete detachment from my poetry specifically (I swear, I used to think my poetry was me, that every poem was an arm, an eye, a leg, an ear) as well as all poetry in general (I used to think poetry was the be all and end all). But shit, I don't have this kind of commitment. Sure, I'm committed to writing--I still write, or try to write just about every damned day--and I'm committed to revision. But honestly, I don't know if I have the kind of drive you posess. I guess I take it for granted. Another day, another poem. Sigh.
I admire you. I do. I wish I had it. I've wanted it--that burning drive--since I read Plath's and Sexton's bios. They both wanted it so bad. Like you do. Like Jenni seems to. Why don't I? It's not as though I can do anything else. I'm not an artist or musician. I have no where else to channel my creativity except writing. So why don't I care about it more?

I hope you win. I'm glad to hear you didn't manipulate your voice or try to be something you aren't merely to please La Gluck. (meanwhile, I worship her...)

You're my hero, TE.

Laurel