Friday, November 19, 2004

Waves

Because all good things come in waves I just received news today of a pushcart nomination. I am beginning to see distinct parallels in my life…

when my real life work sucks….writing life does well
children good at school…horrible at home
no money….endless opportunities to spend
time off….no place to go

I’ve decided to send my manuscript to Fence for the Alberta Prize this weekend. I am not sure how I feel about this, a part of me balks at an award for only women, what if I was just a cross dresser? And then another part of me goes, the pool may be smaller, your book could get picked. (This voice by the way has a very small vocal system.)

It seems we spend so much time boxing each other in, even in writing. Young poet, woman poet, Asian poet and we have contests to further confirm that our boxes are needed.

I've always said that when I become famous I will create my own first book contest with certain guidelines….

….must be between 40 and 52 type written pages
….a cover page with the authors name, phone number
… must be written when children are in the house
….and the Barney Song plays or PBS is blaring on the T.V.
(if not sure of these programs, please borrow children)
….no more than 30 years to create the manuscript
….and on the acknowledgement page please list the number of bottles
wine, aspirin or prescription drugs used during its completion

Oh and don’t forget to make the checks out to T.E. Ballard…

2 comments:

Radish King said...

Congratulations, you beautiful woman you.

LKD said...

Congratulations on your Pushcart nomination, T.

You're my hero. Not heroine, dammit. Hero. (grin)

See? It all evens out, somehow. Your life goes to hell in a hand basket...and you get a Pushie. Does this mean you should wish for constant turmoil and conflict in your life? (grin)

Raising a big glass of beaujolais to you!
Laurel