Monday, January 19, 2009

I’ve just spent the entire weekend traveling back and forth to Chicago by bus and reading the current Poets & Writers interview with Patti Smith, who I hung out with at a poetry festival before “she was all that”.

Smith says, the best advice she could give a young poet is to “take a road trip across the country.” I have to say I think I might agree. There is something about sticking people together who have never met each other before, different colors, origins and classes---what emerges is humanity.

That we are all alive and trying to be kind and we all want to just keep being and going….it is so simple really. What is important in writing and life is what binds us….

Well, that is what I think today after 16 hours on a bus. I’ll let ya know what happens when the fumes wear off!

1 comment:

LifePoemsProject.com said...

Your poem affected life?! Yes, you can share your lovely poem and its great "after story" with the world... Submit now on LifePoemsProject.com