Thursday, August 25, 2005

Birds and Gender

Today in the mail a sea bird from the beautiful Miss Loudon. She flew around my room and landed right here by my bed. A wonderful present.

Also in the mail “From the Bones Out” by Marisa de los Santos. I really like what she is doing in this book. Marisa has what Richard Howard calls, la condition fe’minine. in other words, she is not afraid to be a girl. A woman. So many other women artists it seems try to embrace their art by losing their gender, or believe that gender has no place in creation. I don’t understand this.

I don’t understand how you can BE a woman and not write about being a woman. For example, Richard Silken in his book “Crush” writes about being a gay man. What if he omitted that? Would his book be as powerful? Hell no. Yet it seems so many books by women try to sound like their male counterparts, as if they equate the feminine with something less desirable.

In a powerful way race, gender, sexuality matter. I mean they matter in the fact that they make our world smaller. I can read Langston Hughes and even though he is a black man I can relate to his words. Sometimes his words can be my words, with his writing I am able to fit in his skin.

Can motherhood be powerful? Can a woman in her fullest be sexy? Sharon Olds says for years she would get rejection notices that read this kind of journal does not except these kinds of poems. I am reluctant to bring up Sharon b/c you may confuse what I am trying to say with confessional poetry and gender has nothing to do with confession.

Silken is confessional in “Crush” yet he is powerful. He uses lines breaks and the page to set up fresh images and above all he is not afraid to be who he is. The last two books to really shake up the poetry world in my opinion have been “A Clerk’s Tale” and “Crush.” Why? Is it because they are gay men writing about love? Poets have writing about gay love for a very long time so I don’t think this is the answer. I think we as a society have forgotten the power of personal identity, when we tapped into that, claim it as our own we become unstoppable.

6 comments:

Lisa Cohen said...

Hi Treezaa,

You bring up some powerful and important issues here. Well said.

best,
Lisa
(ljc on WildPoetry)
http://ljcbluemuse.blogspot.com

Charles said...

I didn't think The Clerk's Tale was really that much about love or "about" being gay. I think it's clearly written from a queer vantage point, but topically, it's diverse. My favorite moment: when the clerk puts on lip balm.

And I don't know if I agree that Crush is confessional. I hate that the term "confessional" is so comlicated. I think it's definitely written in a confessional style—implying a "lived" experience— which is probably what you meant. It is a fucking brilliant book, though.

I agree that both books are interesting. I enjoyed Crush so much more than The Clerk's Tale.

Louise really knows how to pick 'em, eh?

gina said...

You go, Girl.

Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Great post!

Charles, I don't think Teresa is saying any of this, except the part about interesting (crushing!). I think she's referring to the Duende that resides inside the poem, as in the body, and arises — a flushed bird — from that authentic "Self" in defense, however we write the plot & select the cast. (I hate using words like "identity" or "personal.") More like poetry from this body living & inside of this history.

I just posted a comment on Pamela's blog about The New Sincerists, Anthony Robinson, and Xicanerati and posted it to my blog just now. This, what you said, I trust, is the power certain Chicana/o poets exercise, as well as "Xicanerati" poets like Jim Sagel & Phil Goldvarg, both deceased,, and still not "Mexican American" with or without their hyphens.

And, why I read you everyday. That consciousness, and artist's hands. (Ha! Gotcha, thought I was going to say "eye", dinja?) That's Xicana. Hands. Yours, stained the color of sky over Chagall's flying cow.

Thanks, sister.

(Ok, I'll be confessional. I get accused of it all the time, anyway. Someday I'll love Snodgrass. I do. Back in early March when I started my blog I linked to you. I bet that's how you got on that Mexican poets list & they published your poem from the blog. They assumed you were Mexican since I linked to you on my blog. Careful! Don't link to me. With a name like Teresa, someone's gonna stick you on some syllabus as a "Chicana" poet. Just tell 'em, Lorna says (Lorna dice), "Spell it with an X and you'll be in the ball park — just don't steal the naming rights.")

btw, you up for participating in Po' Po'Mo' Mommy group blog? I was planning to start it up yesterday, first day of school. (YEA!!!) But I got to busy: It's the first day of school & someone's wants a new haircut, a Po' Po'Mo' Mommy original! Maybe tonight. Gotto go coook dinner.)

cu inna pixel!

Anonymous said...

Opulently I agree but I think the list inform should acquire more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

I inclination not acquiesce in on it. I over precise post. Specially the appellation attracted me to be familiar with the sound story.