Friday, December 17, 2004

Levis

My nighttime reading tonight is Selected Levis and I am thinking how so many people have different opinions about his poetry and how wonderful it would be to write something that people had opposing views about.

At the conference this summer Lax and Millar talked about how brilliant he was, we spent an hour reading the same poem over and over. It bothered one girl in the glass immensely and when Jenn went to another writing workshop they said, that Levis poems were sloppy or something to that affect.

What do I think? Well he died way too young, he was an amazing voice. I think he was just coming into his prime when he had his heart attack. There is no way to know what he might have accomplished if given a longer life.

One of the things I love most about poetry is that takes on the form of a living being. You can love it, hate it and another person can come along and have the opposite view. Isn’t it beautiful? Plus sometimes I need to grow into word or into certain poets. Who I loved when I was 15 is not who I love now. Who knows who I will love when I am eighty. (God please let me still be able to read.)

Well I am back to Levis while I still have my eyes….

3 comments:

Radish King said...

What is going to happen to your eyes?

early hours of sky said...

my eyes are fine dear, I was referring to getting old.

Radish King said...

I'm a smartass.
I'm possessed by Bart Simpson.
I'm going to read your heart poem again, I like it.