Saturday, December 04, 2004

Sex or is she just sexy????

Sex is everywhere lately, blogs, poetry, horoscopes even the cover of books. Why do so many back covers say “her poems are sexy and intelligent” and why is it more female writers than male who are described this way?

None of Billy’s books say that about him and Paul Celan was sexy as hell but his back cover just says, he was brilliant which by the way I find incredibly sexy.

Personally I am going for the book cover that reads “she is completely frigid.” I mean wouldn’t you as a reader, 1) laugh your ass off and 2) actually buy the book to see if the author indeed did not put out. That is the whole point isn’t it, to buy the book and that’s why we have these lame ass descriptions?

But what if that isn’t the point. Sales I mean, look at European book jackets, you know those beautiful translations you can hardly get anyone to publish here in the states. Not a sexy quote among them.

The reason I bring this up is because I always question how much society affects art and what our responsibility is as artists to not be affected by it. Because I believe that what stands the test of time (those books that last a hundred years) are books that rise above what society “expects”.

Laurel always loves to give me horoscopes which I like. Years ago I remember reading one that said it was important to know what I wanted, to stand the test of time or be famous. I read that just about the point I started writing again and I took it very seriously. I thought about what it would mean to me not to be well known in my life time and to be honest I still struggle with that question.

But if I had one wish, it would be to have a book that out lived my children, grandchildren, great-great grandchildren. And isn’t that what most of us want, to not just published but to write the best damn book we are capable of writing…or is it just me???

8 comments:

Radish King said...

Both of the blurbs on my book cover mention sex. It is, however, one of my favorite things about which to write. Way more fun for me than writing about, oh, say, snowy egrets or the garden. Though I like those things, too.

Radish King said...

In spite of what you may have heard or read, I've never once had sex with a snowy egret. Though I may have to write about it, now.

Suzanne said...

Uh, Billy's book don't say it because he's not. *lmao*

I'm with you, brilliant is way sexy. :-)

early hours of sky said...

Oh Rebecca I want bids on having sex with a snowy egret in the garden and then writing about it. And yes it is fun to write about but your poems my dear are so much more than just sexy…

Suzanne it will take all my strength in January when I do a workshop with Billy not to blurt out “Suzanne Frischkorn doesn’t think you're sexy, na nahh nana." And yes brilliant minds have gotten me in more trouble then I care to admit.

For the record I am not saying “sexy” is bad, hell it is wonderful if you can get it lol. But it is one of those relative things like art that has different characteristics depending on who is defining it.

Suzanne said...

Remind me to tell you about the time Billy kissed me. Yep. He did. In return you'll have to tell me all about the workshop! :-)

Radish King said...

Billy Collins kissed you? Ewww! ack! patooey!
I sat on Carolyn Kizer's lap, once.

early hours of sky said...

Rebecca did she kiss you? Now that would be hot lol

Suzanne said...

Hey, don't knock it R, I think he gave me some of that Poet L. mojo right there on my cheek.

You gave Kizer a lap dance? Damn, I knew I loved you for a reason. :-)