Sunday, December 12, 2004

those little elves

Oh Sundays, the tree is up and the girls are walking through the house wrapping up random things they find: a clothes hanger, glue stick, one shoe. Okay, my six year old is mostly doing this, Olivia at least goes for things in pairs but the fact is you cannot walk two feet without finding remnants on the floor. I must start this day as a steam shovel, walking behind trying to clear up the chaos they have left behind. I am tired already.

Yesterday I sent off a submission to the Water&Stone Review. It is a Minnesota based journal and several people have asked me to submit there. Then I worked on other submissions, the good thing about being a lazy ass is that I had the Mid American poems all typed up but never sent them off so I went over them yesterday and fixed a few things.

One of the things I dislike most about writing is when at night, I write what I think is this amazing thing. I have that total god like feeling and then I go to bed. Wake up and the poem is pure shit. I have no idea how that happens, I think it might be little elves twisting words while I sleep.

3 comments:

Radish King said...

My son, who is almost 24, still gets delighted by Christmas (i.e. Beethoven's Birthday.) I suggested getting the tree a day earlier than we usually get it so I can work around my concert schedule and he had a fit. It's funny how easy it is to create family ritual and how difficult to change them once they are set.

On the other hand, I have a flat empty box that held a wreath a couple days ago (thanks, Mom.) The cats are going crazy with the box, using it as their own brilliant fort. It wasn't many years back that my son would have done the same.

Unknown said...

Ahh yes, that happens to me too. When people have asked me which poem of mine is my favorite, i always answer "whichever poem I just finished writing." In a few months, I discover the poem wasn't really anything special. sigh.

early hours of sky said...

Rebecca it is nice to see the Giant Surfer Children are not perfect. I was beginning to wonder.

Jenn I always like the poem I am working on at the moment the best but there are some which will always be my favorites. Even if I never publish them because they did exactly what I want them to do.

Wayne welcome. Have a seat and get comfortable. I have way too many gremlins and they are not even those cute furry kind.