Thursday, August 18, 2005

The above photo is from Sylvia Plachy’s Transylvanian Woods study. I love this photo, makes you wonder why they only saw werewolves.

It has been a strange poetry week. Yesterday I found out I didn’t get an award I was sure I’d win and then heard through the grape vine, it was b/c I didn’t have an MFA in creative writing. I always have this naïve idea the work matters the most in the end. I still believe it does, there are just some days where I don’t play the politics very well.

Today I got news I’d never thought I get and now I am trying not to think about it. I’m wondering what I will do with two months of free writing time. The girls at school. The bills paid with this grant. What if I fail? What if the only excuse “time” in not producing the book I see in my head is not really the reason it doesn’t happen?

I was talking to a friend tonight about how three years ago I had no doubts about myself as a poet and yet it seems like the closer I get, the more readings I do, the more I published I am, the less I feel like a poet. Doubts come rushing in and try to take up residence.

Here is the double sided sword: Collins says we create ourselves as writers, this persona yet I believe to write well you are your deepest self uncensored. I am most me and least me at the same exact spot.

8 comments:

V. said...

I wanted to feel better about my own situation after reading this post, knowing another shared a similar problem.

I don't.

I should strive to write well only for myself. Yet I don't. I am, so very often, thinking of what others may think of me, is it worth it, will all of it be remaindered and stripped of front covers.

sigh

Ivy said...

"I’m wondering what I will do with two months of free writing time."

It'll just fly, and you'll fly along with it! How wonderful, T! I'm so happy for you! :-)

gina said...

Oh T so wonderful. You'll rest, muse, write, gather, play, sing. Maybe dance. I see you dancing. It's rare time and you'll live in it.

C. Dale said...

Congrats. I feel out of the loop. What did you win? A Fellowship? Your post confused me because at first I thought you didn't get something, then you got something, but I wasn't sure what you got. Anyway, congrats!

Artichoke Heart said...

Time can be unexpectedly scary and daunting when you get it, but it will be your time . . . it'll be wonderful.

IM(V)HO, the work is always the only thing that really matters . . . isn't it (and shouldn't it be) the point of all this? I guess what I'm saying is that for me, at least, I feel that all I can really do is to write the very best work that I am capable of (understanding fully the extremely subjective nature of whatever that "best" might entail), and in the best way that I know how, and in the way that works best for me. If try just try to do that, then I come closest to finding some sort of peace with myself. Everything else is just, well . . . stuff.

early hours of sky said...

C.D. I won a spot as a finalist for a grant. I will be interviewed about my manuscript and if I answer the questions correctly and don't drool they will give me 4,000 dollars to write.

Lee yes, yes and yes. Thank you.

Gina, I am going dancing tomorrow night actually. I am a dancin' girl.

V, what Lee said is so very true. We just need to move the "stuff" out.

Ivy, how was the castle girl? I am sorry it will fly by. At the moment all I want is the nanny.

C. Dale said...

Teresa, That is so exciting. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Ivy said...

T, stopping time would be just the best trick ever, especially when limited for things such as writing. The castle was just amazing! So good to have the gift of time, so I'll cross my fingers for you getting your nanny. :-)