Saturday, August 27, 2005

Yesterday was the last day of teaching for the summer. Hurray. My daughters took a stilt building/walking class. I don’t know what actually possessed me to give them the tools to make themselves six feet tall. Now Bella is refusing to be the flower girl in my brother’s wedding unless she can wear them. I’m tired of being a single parent. I told her she could pack them and then my new sister in law can deal with her. It's possible she will be on to a new thing by October like maybe the unicycle on the front porch. My girls are now trained in all areas of circus performing.

I'm on the fourth read through Richard Silken’s “Crush” so I can fairly counter Charlie’s claim that it is better than a “Clerk’s Tale.” I like them both but “Crush” feels more manipulated to me and there’s strength in Spencer’s work b/c he writes with a gentleness that Silken does not have. To quote my grandmother, it takes a hell of a lot more “presence” to walk quietly into a room and be noticed then to barge into the room and get everyone’s attention.

If you have read them both which one do you like better? Please don’t tell me both because that’s just annoying;)

8 comments:

Emily Lloyd said...

The Clerk's Tale. But I'm too exhausted to explain why just now.

Please tell Bella that, should I ever get married, I would be more than happy to have her attend on stilts, and be the flower girl as well, as long as, you know, my siblings don't have any little daughters by then that would feel slighted. (I suppose then Bella could just be the Girl on Stilts. Weddings would be better for including one.)

early hours of sky said...

Can she also wear a glow stick?

Artichoke Heart said...

Now, see . . . the option of a flower girl on sticks wearing a glow stick just might actually get me to muster up a smidge of interest in getting married/having a wedding.

early hours of sky said...

Lee, she is available for rental, actually I have two and both come with their own glow in the dark stilts and sticks.

See I may never have to apply for a writing grant again. My daughters will just be stilt slaves.

Emily Lloyd said...

Hmmm...now I think perhaps everyone at/in my wedding should have glow sticks; an outdoor wedding at dusk with hundreds (okay, tens, I don't have that many friends) of glow sticks. And we will keep on celebrating until they give up their glow, then go to sleep under the glow of near-dawn.

Suzanne said...

I haven't read either, can you believe it? But, I do love glow sticks.

Pamela Johnson Parker said...

The Clerk's Tale gets my vote. There's more range in Reece, and the tone is gorgeous. I also like the dichotomy of place that's in Reece.

Crush is amazing writing, and I'm glad I own both books.

gina said...

T,

I feel the same way about Crush--maybe more so than you do--and have been trying to understand why. I was prepared to love this book, but felt disappointed often.

I haven't read The Clerk's Tale, have never been on stilts, but I think glow sticks are magic.