Sunday, August 14, 2005

It is hard to believe these are the last weeks of summer. Tomorrow I am teaching an Egyptian class and we are mummifying Barbies, shaving their heads, writing hieroglyphics on their plastic skin. I spent all evening looking for shoe boxes for tombs. It’s amazing what I consider valuable at the moment; an empty cardboard box is gold.

My day was spent with relatives. I moved to Minnesota for one reason only. I am not related to anyone in the state. In Maine, there's a lot of inter breeding, you walk into a store and someone knows who you are without actually ever meeting you. And so they start to tell you stories about your life while your standing there wondering who the hell are you and are you standing in front of the beer?

Today I played tour guide. Today I stood by trees, statues and giant cherries. I went place I never go and I was asked questions I didn’t know the answer to. What is that called? Where are we? Okay so basic direction was never my strong point.

I am eating the last days of summer. I wish I could have June back and begin again. I feel like the explanation of a Tesseract in Madeline L’ Engle’s book A Wrinke In Time. I am the two points pulled together by a string. I am a fold on the skin. I'm moving too fast.

4 comments:

Emily Lloyd said...

"an empty cardboard box is gold"

Yep, when I was a children's librarian I used to say that you know you're in children's services if you've ever considered buying shoes just for the boxes or baby food just for the jars.

I'm sorry about the tessering--a surreal feeling even if you don't end up on Camazotz. I was telling a friend the other day that this summer has not been the kind that makes me feel prepared for fall, if that makes sense. Things'll slow down though, T. Close your eyes and think of Aunt Beast.

early hours of sky said...

Oh I so want to end up in Camazotz.

Emily Lloyd said...

No, No, Camazotz is where IT is! You totally don't want to go there (not to sound bossy, but). May I recommend a stay on Ixchel, home of Aunt Beast and amazing, deeply nourishing food. Only problem? Everything's gray. You will need to bring your paints or else (here's what I think I'd do) let your other senses guide you completely.

The epigraph to my book (ha!) is from the Ixchel chapter of Wrinkle. A quote that reminds me of myself writing poetry. [grin] It is:

"'How strange it is that they can't tell us what they themselves seem to know,' a tall, thin beast murmured."

early hours of sky said...

okay u are right I dont want to be there. Though the irony is, she needed to go there to exist at all. God I hate irony.