Monday, August 29, 2005

We Are Talking of Fever

Little light, little bird
let me tell you a story. Cup, by small cup
I’ll pour into you. Now open.
Now open your mouth.
Here is the way we begin
once there was a girl there’s always a girl
sometimes there’s a prince.
Now give me your throat
bend to the wolf
this is easier really
then telling the story
to open my mouth.
I want to be the wolf but I am not.
Neither am I the girl, you’re always the girl
unless you’re the fever, red flush
coming over the fields like fire.
I’m the cup. Here is the story.
A girl carries the bucket to the well
but there’s no bottom, the water
follows her like a line, a road
she must travel. The child
does not want this story.
She’s not the princess
hungry for blood, she wants more
of the wolf, more of the hunger.
Her smooth canine, her white mother,
where is the prince?
This is a story of two, the boy is not here.
The girls are adding on to each other.
One is the water.

5 comments:

early hours of sky said...

thank you Rae

Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

This hits me a whole other way on second reading. I really like this.

early hours of sky said...

Thank you Lorna and I hope the other way is a good way.

Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

so good I linked to it
so I could find it again
kinda like an open notebook
of inspirations
(glad you're not a deletor - weren't those in Harry Potter? Something about dementia.)
;-)

early hours of sky said...

Dementors, yes they sucked the life right out of you. I dated some ppl. like that;)

No, I am not a deletor, you should see my poor hard drive.