Sunday, August 07, 2005

Okay so the only problem with Lee Roripaugh being back in town (god I missed her blog) is that now every time I go to her site I need sushi. And for those people who know me, you realize this is a problem. I am on a first name basis w/ my sushi chef; he saves me treats like a cat. We go bowling together. I set him up on his last date. All this because, well the man is in charge of my sushi consumption I need to treat him well.

Today I went to an art fair (no I did not go with him) and while I try to avoid these things like the plague. It is really necessary to shellac toast? I found a beautiful photo to add to my collection. I have a wall of women from all over the world. It started in Haiti when I took a photos of the voodoo women there. The poem I wrote about that is in the next Mid-American Review. Writing about Haiti is the most difficult subject matter for me. There is no easy way to do it. It is not my culture and I am always the white girl looking in. Coming from a multicultural family I am always aware of being her, this girl. Pale and polite, in reality I am neither but I always think that is how I am perceived.

I would like a whole book about Haiti; unfortunately I have only two decent poems. Maybe the August gods will give me another.

2 comments:

Artichoke Heart said...

Oh my . . . the sushi jones. I'm envious that you're so tight with your sushi chef. And hey . . . I'll look forward to your poem in the next MAR!

early hours of sky said...

Yes well after writing this I had to go have scallops and octopus last night. I had it bad. Minnesota has surprisingly better sushi than I found in California and I know where to look. I am pretty damn picky. I get a 9 dollar sushi lunch every Tuesday and Thursday which is out of this world.

I am looking forward to your new poem in Bloom as well. I think Emily is also in that issue. Should be good.