Saturday, August 06, 2005

Tonight I made Pesto, put basil and oil behind each ear. I finished Rebecca’s book which was wonderful. I am always paranoid about reading someone’s book I know, especially if I like them but this did not disappoint. Tarantella was so Rebecca, in all the wonderful ways Loudon is Loudon.

I have been thinking about Suzanne’s post on her blog, how poetry is so much work, and commitment and yet few understand it is an art form or discipline. What do I mean by that? Well I can spend three weeks on a painting and tell someone that, and they may be slightly impressed, spend three weeks on a poem and the general population thinks you are nuts.

I found these words by Rukeyser tonight b/c I am still trying to get through everything the women has ever written.

Did you know Sharon Olds studied with her?

I thought about saying I would give up my left tit to study with her but in truth, I would give up my left tit to study with her, Celan and Akhmatova. I like my left tit. It is worth more than one poet.

Why Teresa Ballard writes poetry (in case anyone gives a damn) :

To enter that rhythm where the self is lost,
where breathing : heartbeat: and the subtle music
of their relation make our dance, and hasten
us to the moment when all things become
magic, another possibility.
The blind moment, midnight, when all night
begins, and the dance itself is all our breath,
and we ourselves the moment of life and death.
Blinded: but given now another saving,
the self a vision, at all time perceiving,
all arts all senses being languages,
delivered of will, being transformed in truth
for life’s sake surrendering moment and images,
writing the poem: in love making, bringing to birth.


The Life of Poetry…Muriel Rukeyser pg.41


Now I would give up my left tit to write like that. Or maybe both.

3 comments:

Radish King said...

Whew

early hours of sky said...

Darling the observer's left;) and I didnt say I didnt expect Celan to give it back. And James Joyce is a totally different story.
I miss you.
Now put the damn blog back.
I will guard the door.

Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Ha! Great blog entry!

As for Sharon Olds, talk about Chicana Chicano poets getting "ghettoized!" She's dismissed & overlooked now, and it's a shame. Just reading her, Forche & Rukeyser is study enough. Then reading them again: Olds & Forche for line & poetic symbol. Rukeyser for, dare I say it? Craft. Sharon is best in, dare I say it, workshop, the more informal the better (Squaw Valley) — she sticks to the text on the page. I was once on a panel with her, and when she visited Boulder she opted to do a workshop session where people read their poems out loud and she critiqued them on the spot. Awesome, she is. Laser beam. If you ever get the chance, do it. It'll be worth every penny. Forche, too. (Tell her I send an abrazo!)

As for this: "I thought about saying I would give up my left tit to study with her but in truth, I would give up my left tit to study with her, Celan and Akhmatova. I like my left tit. It is worth more than one poet." I say, that's good writing. And, Lorna dice: As for the former, I think they're like Mayan souls, we have at least 12 of them, and all can be lost. And found.

(Cynthia: what I miss is your regular health updates. I was sorry to hear about your illness. I have always thought of you, (and Bert) remembering fondly the secrets of "Rice a Roni" & a good cioppino - the San Francisco treat. Is there a metaphor in there for you? Yes, we have more to talk about than we ever knew back then. Stroke of genius & luck, I always considered it, to pair us in that P-Town reading. —Keep me abreast of any Stanley news— I love your poetry. Loved your blog. And, mostly miss your Suzy Cream Cheese poem. Could I get a copy of that? I'd really like to read it again. Or, post it on my blog? Or wait for a link in case you sent it out somewhere. And, as for genius & luck, may you keep up with yours. And great news about the house! The power of Intention! Or, Poetry.)