Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Search Engine

Sometimes in those little search engine boxes I want to type in real questions like why do I cry on certain days and not others? Why is there so much injustice and whatever happened to the tellatubies now that they are old?

And there always feels with the written word there should be answers, that if I took the time to type it down, then hell the complete instructions must exist somewhere.

I have been reading all the articles I can find about Edwidge Danitcat’s uncle http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041119/APN/411191244
and how he was detained because of the patriot act, his medicine taken away, even though he had a visa to be in this country, and how he died handcuffed to a bed. He was an 81 year old minister, the man who raised Edwidge Danticat with stories and books so that she could become one of the most amazing women writers I have ever read.

I am looking for answers. I am looking for answers but it does not fit in my little box and I am thinking how unjust it all is, how we protect ourselves from our responsibility to the world by using the word privilege.

This man was stopped because he was black, denied rights because the officers at the scene called him a “stupid immigrant” and all because this country is ours (supposedly), we are privileged so we must lock the doors tight.

I have lived in both places and I have to tell you they are wrong. In Haiti people hold hands in the street, the sing to fires at night and love fiercely because it all could stop at any second. You could plant a stick in the ground and it would grow leaves the next day.It is a beautiful world…..

No comments: