Sunday, November 21, 2004

What's On Your Gravestone

The only thing I don’t like about Sunday is the no mail thing and that here in Minnesota if you want a glass of red wine you need to remember on Saturday to buy it. I sent off my second batch of poems today to Mid-American Review, well I stuck it in the mailbox that won’t be opened till tomorrow. I got that wonderful handwritten note send more work. I think I might put that on my gravestone.

I was getting nervous about not having enough publications for breadloaf but I think I should just concentrate on one conference at a time. I still need to figure out all the details for Florida and I need to send Carolyn the final manuscript I sent to Yale but I am nervous about doing this. Oh well, straight through the fire….

I miss writing. I have poems in my head but my body is stopping them halfway down so I don’t have to edit them. My mind is avoiding anything that looks like work. What I need to do is just read a damn good book and relax feel free to send any recommendations…

3 comments:

LKD said...

Reading recommendations? Or relaxing recommendations?
Reading: Best Words, Best Order by Stephen Dunn,
or Above the River: The Complete Poems of James Wright.

Relaxing? A walk in the woods. Just you and the trees and the birds.

Oh, and here, my dear, is your horoscope from Free Will Astrology (the kickass-est horoscopes I've ever come across). You are a Leo, no?

"The pace of change is accelerating," says futurist Ray Kurzweil. "We're doubling the paradigm shift rate, the rate of progress, every decade." I agree with Kurzweil. By my estimate, half of what you know today will be obsolete in five years. Isn't that exciting? What could be more pleasurable than continually molting your old perspectives and growing fresh ways to see the world? That's the good news, Leo. Now here's the great news: The coming months will be an ideal time to formulate and jumpstart an aggressive five-year plan to keep your education continually up to date.

Ivy said...

The Hours by Michael Cunningham is pretty cool, if you're after a novel.

Or, if you're after poetry, why not surf around the blogs, and see who's selling their chapbook? That, too, might be groovy.

early hours of sky said...

thanks everyone

I have started reading "Corrections" for my holiday escape. I will let you know if it works, T