Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Danger

I just finished writing an article last night that involved the power of poetry and though I am not going to give it all away before the issue goes to print it has led me to think about the danger of poetry. In history poets have died for their craft, where is that power in modern word? What is the last dangerous book of poems you have read?

This has made me evaluate (once again) my own manuscript and how safe I remain and that my goal should not only be to tell my own story but to do so in such a way that I don’t always remain safe.

We have become a complacent people not only in politics but in word. I would venture that the maturity of modern writers don’t believe what they are writing will effect the outcome of history. We have forgotten that words are indeed dangerous.

2 comments:

Emily Lloyd said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
early hours of sky said...

No I am not on the WOM-PO and right now I trying to figure out what that stands for and my mind keeps making dirty words. Anyway post me a link, will ya? My thought process was brought on by reviewing Clifton’s new book which feels a little dangerous to me. I want to write dangerous poetry.