Friday, March 25, 2005

known world

I am trying to get through The Known World which won a Pulitzer but so far the only reason I can figure out it won, is that is has enough characters to fill about three towns. Anyway it is historical fiction, I will get through it and I will be a better person and then go back to my beautiful poetry which never confuses me with the thought, who the hell are you.

Two rejections letters yesterday, not that I’m counting but it gets incredibly frustrating when I send out four poems that Carolyn calls my “perfect poems” and they come back to me every time. The thing is, I am also rather fond of them but what I seem to be noticing is that everyone wants you after you get that first book title but what the hell does that have to do with the work in end.

Anyway my job for the month or so says the little scrap of paper by my bedroom mirror is to “just write” not to worry about thing else. Did I mention I will be alone in my house for four days during Spring Break? In mom time that is like a year and a half.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Your other job today is to send them somewhere else, go it?

My mantra today is: Don't be afraid to write crap. :-)

Suzanne said...

Uh, that would be 'got it?' :-P