Tuesday, March 15, 2005

I was just putting the girls in the car for school this morning and one of their babysitters walked by on her way to high school. She had been in Spain last year and I had not seen her for a while. She then went on to tell me she had been in the hospital and just got out. It turns out she was in lock down which is a horrible place. Surviving adolescence while being an artist is a difficult journey, I am so lucky I lived in a very small town in Maine. The worst adults ever did was tie me to a chair and tell me I had demons. Oh the joys of the Christian right.

I have been thinking a lot about our human journey, Rebecca with mushy lobes, my own daughter’s quick entrance into tweendom and I know without doubt writing has saved me. Why I serve it almost as if it is a deity. As with Jung theory I have enter a deeper room inside myself, a true place because of my art.

Sometimes I forget this I get caught up in all the crap that is involved with being a published writer. I worry about order, publishing credits, that I am not doing something right. Maybe embracing chaos has nothing to do with craziness maybe it is just realizing that the shortest distance between two points in not always a straight line.

2 comments:

Kelli Russell Agodon - Book of Kells said...

Hi Teresa,

RE: Maybe embracing chaos has nothing to do with craziness maybe it is just realizing that the shortest distance between two points in not always a straight line...

It was synchronistic to see your post today as I was reading "On Poetry & Craft" by Theodore Roethke and came across this gem, "It is well to keep in touch with chaos."

I agree.

Best,
Kelli

early hours of sky said...

kelli, that book was brought up a great deal when I was at the conference with Collins. I need to go read it again. I think I was too young when I read it the first time. Thanks for bringing it up, T