Saturday, April 09, 2005

Arrogance and accessibility

Emily has wonderful posts about accessibility up at her blog which makes me think about Kaminsky’s review of Wrights work where he talks about arrogance. How a poet needs to believe that they have the authority to say exactly what they are saying. The few poems I get that warm fuzzy feeling for in my own work are the few I believe no one else could ever write except me. So what does that have to with accessibility?

Well the human spirit is a conundrum of individuality verses unity. We have all loved but no one has loved the same way. Side note: my daughter wanted me to explain to her how gay sex was different than straight sex and I said that I thought everyone made love differently and no two people do it exactly the same way though the principles are the same. I told her each two people have their own language.

I don’t know if I answered her question and I am not even sure where I am going here except to say, poetry is a hell of a lot like sex. When it is good I don’t doubt myself at all, I believe the other person will get it without much explanation and I also hand down think I am the best person for the job. So there you go arrogance, accessibility. Oh and the less I think about it, when I shut my mind off and just ummm write, the better it is.

3 comments:

666poetry-finchnot said...

I said that I thought everyone made love differently and no two people do it exactly the same way though the principles are the same. I told her each two people have their own language.


i think that was a very beautiful way to describe the love that occurs between 2 people

you get a mommy A+ from me

~jx

Radish King said...

It's a big so what for me. In the end, does the idea of accessibility affect how or what I write?(or read?) Obviously, no.

I have been listening to a string quartet written by a modern composer for about 10 years now, that has made absolutely no sense to me. I kept listening though, because this composer has spoken to me in the past. This weekend I listened to the recording about 12 times and suddenly, yesterday, I understood it, I got it. It made complete sense to me. I knew where it was going and why and what it did when it finally arrived.

I think accessibility is the reader's issue, not the writer's.

I've been carrying your book around in a ziplock bag so it won't get dirty. None of my friends know what the hell you're talking about.

My mother, upon receiving her copy of Tarantella.

Emily Lloyd said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.