Tuesday, April 05, 2005

I am cheating horribly at this poem a day, sometimes it is just a stanza, sometimes it a stanza from an old poem that will not leave my head but I need to find a better house for it. And it is only the beginning of the month; I am going to be posting cereal ingredients by the end of the week.

Poetry right now feels like diving. I need to dive into a deeper level of myself, hold my breath and go but that always equals change for me. I hate change.

One of greatest gift we can give ourselves as poets is the ability to not censor. That is what makes Dobbins wonderful, Celan. The ability to put everything down on paper without value, I am also horrible at this.

2 comments:

Radish King said...

You might want to try this. Tell yourself you aren't allowed to write any more poems. See what happens.

LKD said...

Rebecca's suggestion stopped me in my tracks. I think that would be the bigger challenge for me--to not write every day. Because I do write a poem or more every day, probably because my job requires me to sit in front of a computer 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. It's almost impossible not to write under those circumstances. On one level, this daily writing thing is a compulsion. But it also serves to give me a sense of accomplishment, a feeling that I actually did something today beyond merely showing up for work. (smile) Seriously, the only other activitiy that gives me the same feeling of satisfaction is a good workout. A day without having written a poem or without having worked out leaves me feeling disgruntled. I feel worthless if I don't write a poem, or if I skip a workout. I feel like a failure. So....I write every every day, even if it's utter and complete crap. And I workout every, every day...until my body says: Stop!

So, geez...I think I'd have a breakdown--seriously---if I told myself I wasn't allowed to write poetry or workout.

Shutting up now...
Laurel

Oh, and it's your turn.