Monday, April 11, 2005

understanding

So my thought for the day which I keep trying to write down here is that I do not believe accessibility equals understanding. If a poem is accessible does it mean it is completely understood? I don’t think so. Rebecca stated in her comment that her mother’s friends do not understand some of her poems and I have had that same comment from my father, that is wonderful dear but I do not know what the hell you are talking about. And yet he will go on later to have a twenty minute conversation of what the poem reminded him of and in turn give me ideas for about twenty other poems. I don’t believe a poet should write for a reader but I do believe the writer needs to be aware.

3 comments:

Glenn Ingersoll said...

My dad said the kind of poetry he liked was cowboy poetry. So I stopped sending him mine. Was he hoping I'd start writing cowboy poetry?

In what turned out to be my last visit with my mother I was reading poems to her and she opened her eyes and said, "Your poems aren't always meant to be understood, are they?" Then she asked me to read another one.

Anne Haines said...

I think a lot of the time in school people are taught some really bad ideas about what it means to "understand" a poem. I know I was taught to approach them like little puzzles that had to be decoded and once I'd figured out all the clues, ta-dah! I'd know the Sooper Sekrit Meaning of the thing. Which is great for some poems, but not all (not most, I'd say).

early hours of sky said...

Glenn and anne I think my favorite types of poems are the one I dont understand at all.