Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Well for Miss Violet who made my day by being the kind of girl who lets her mother know exactly who she is, well for her I dug out this poem and I mean I really dug. Yeah for girl babies!!!!!


Ultrasound

In the moment before
when the screen held your flesh, you were nothing
except gray, fading images
and the intern checked organs like a grocery list:
heart, liver. I never did understand the meaning of seed
how a thin line of cord could connect or destroy.
You were nothing to me
except the slight shudder below a rib
and then the buzz of a machine became your name
while this woman drew a line with her hand
and said, this is where a penis should be
yet here you will see the flat land,
the black of ovary. She named you girl
marked the small box with a pen.

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

T, I'm all misty now! You're awesome, I'm printing this out as her first gift and sticking it in her baby book (which let's be honest will probably be a manila folder since she's number three.
;-)) Thank you!!!

xoxoxox

Ivy said...

I love it.

Pamela Johnson Parker said...

I love this poem--it is poignant and has wonderful line breaks. I especially like the turn at line 9.

Also, it reminded me that I'd written poems for my children when I was pregnant. (My son's 20, so believe me, I had to excavate through strata to find that one). Thanks for sharing and for reminding me of my 20 and 7 year old poems, respectively.

early hours of sky said...

pamela, thank you and welcome. Funny enough the lines breaks gave me a hard time.

Ivy...yea, I am glad

And suzanne I spent all morning digging out cute baby hats I want to mail to you and hell if I had three the last baby book would be a blog;)

Suzanne said...

Don't toy with me T, you mean to tell me that there are baby hats that aren't baseball caps or fishing hats?! Whoohoo! xo

early hours of sky said...

Yes, there are but you need to be prepared that when they are older who will have to hit them w/a bat to get them in one;)