Friday, September 02, 2005

Mother Load

Because I saved all my birthday money like a good Leo and because I know the best wholesale books seller on the internet I got a box in the mail today that resembled the size of a small child. You could actually feel it thump from the porch to the kitchen.
In the box:

Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes
Practical Gods by Carl Dennis
A Short History of the Shadow by Charles Wright
Drivers at the Short Time Motel by Eugene Gloria
Paul Celan Romania by Julian Semilian ( this is a pocket version of all the lost poems he wrote in Romania before his death, I am so excited about this I almost had a …..)
Spoken Here by Mark Abley (because of Anne’s blog discussion about language)
The Probable World by Lawrence Raab
Mercy of a Rude Stream by Henry Roth (b/c of Laurel Snyder…you ppl are costing me money)
Break Every Rule and Room Lit by Roses by Carole Maso (who I love)
Pallbearers Envying the One who Rides by Stephen Dobyns
Three Lives & Tender Buttons by Gerturde Stein (I am a feminist and I’ve never read this book)
Mrs. Reynolds by Geturde Stein (please see above statement)

and people I did not even break the fifty dollar mark, which means I am one hell of a shopper and it also means you may not see me for a few days. Please feel free to send bread & water. I am going to try to finish my grant today but I don’t think I am discipline enough. All the books are spread out on my bed and I am touching them, well like I am dating them;) Beautiful, beautiful books…..

What would you read first???

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Books, touching them...who binds poetry books today, hand binding, good quality, great poems??

We have a small library of old books and the bindings are exquisite. I'd like to find bookbinders who are practicing and reviving the art.

ginger

Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Oh, what fun! First date. (Some you put down right away. "Can't judge a book. . .", and sometimes, you sure can't from the blurb.)

Hard choice, here. But I'd have to go with the Hughes/Plath — 'cause I'm a snoop. Aren't all poets? Isn't that why we blog? So we can get a key to peek?

Lorna Dee Cervantes said...

Ginger: Wings Press. That's why I just gave them my last five (cloth binding w/ hand placed quality paper inserts, self-designed—ha! even rarer!) and a chapbook (hand *sewn*, hand pasted cover—as for the quality of the poems, I have no idea.

Artichoke Heart said...

How marvelous! When I have a decadent hoard of new books spread out on my bed, I like to pretend like it's my very own box of exceedingly fine chocolates and randomly sample. A little nibble here. A little nibble there. Crinkly foil wrappers. Sticky fingers. Serotonins flickering like white lightning. Yum!

early hours of sky said...

Ginger last spring I led an exhibit on the “St. John's Bible” It was the first handwritten, illuminated Bible in the modern era. The art was amazing and the process of preparing the skins took my breath away.

Lorna, yes I read a little bit of that one but I think I’m a lot like Lee. It is really hard to sit with just one book when they are all in front of you calling your name. I skit skaddled a bit and then didn’t really read any of them.

Lee, you still owe me sushi;)