Saturday, September 10, 2005

Two weeks ago a friend of mine who studies monarchs at the University of Minnesota gave me a bunch of chrysalises that were not going to hatch (or whatever technical term he used.) Needless to say no matter how hallmarkie it sounds the cocoons were beautiful, tiny pieces of jade with gold running through. The girls and I hung them in the kitchen by the window so we could watch them move in the light. Okay so I could watch them move in the light. The girls thought it was lame without butterflies.

Today I woke up to Monarchs flying around my house there was one drinking out of my coffee cup. I woke up my girls and we spent the next 40 minutes trying to convince them that outside was a better world. It took a great deal of convincing.

This week I was told by someone that I live mostly in illusions, what I write here isn’t always accurate. Granted. You don’t drink much beer and you haven’t published a book. These are true things. I don’t drink much beer…only good beer. My book, whose title changes almost monthly is waiting. It is done and it is not done.

The manuscript has been read by the two writers in the world who I admire more than anyone, both have blest it. Both have said, yes, this will see the light of day. I am waiting for Yale. I am waiting for something big. I am also okay with “the big thing” not happening.

I am okay with the book just being pieces of jade catching the light. The beauty of it. After all, I’m the girl who lives mostly in illusions.

3 comments:

Artichoke Heart said...

What a splendid moment (I wish I could have been there . . . it's been a long time since I've seen Monarchs hatching) and yes, the chrysalis is all gold-threaded illusion and as writers don't we ultimately manufacture illusions? Isn't that how we attempt to make magic?

Unknown said...

don't feel bad, i live in a world of illusions too--we all do to some extent. i was reading this article the other day, some psychology site, and it had this 'square' theory--it has some famous psychologists name to it, can't remember right now, anyways it claims there are 4 parts to the self-- 1. things other ppl and we know about ourselves. 2. things only we know about ourselves that others don't know. 3. things others know about us that we don't know about ourselves. 4. mystery--things others don't know about us and things we don't even know about ourselves. The third one kinda freaked me out--to think there are things others know about me that i don't know about myself! that scared the crap out of me! but it makes sense, of course there wld be traits we wouldn't know.

so, what i'm trying to say is, all of us live in the third quad to some extent.

the butterflies--now that's really cool.

and I think your book will see the light of day. it may not be as soon as you want, or the Yale, but it'll get published.

hope you are doing good. i'd like to go back to the palm beach thing this year, but we're prolly moving. Jane H is going to be there though!!

Molly said...

Your friend who studies monarchs must know my friend who is in graduate studies for entomology. I don't think that world is so big, once you become specialized. She studies bees.