Monday, February 07, 2005

Good Mail

Okay so I am sick of this black background and I tried to change it and I made the entire links tidy bowl blue. Oh well I will try again later.

Great things came in the mail today, my new issue of Poetry and it had two poems by Sharon Olds that she read at the conference. It is really wonderful to hear a poem out loud before it goes to print; there is something beautiful in that for me. And I spend my last Christmas gift card and got the soundtrack from Garden State, The Monster Lives of Boys and Girls and Out of Silence by Rukeyser. I have wanted that book for a long time.

Sadly I am still looking for the Orchard, yes my children hide things that well or someone put it away in an odd spot. I of course bear no responsibility to the fact that it has gone missing. But please have mercy on my soul and stop telling me what a good book it is. I know it is in this house somewhere.

I suppose I could break down and buy another one but I am infamous at our Barnes and Noble for returning books I don’t like. I frighten them, especially when they tell me something is out of print, like Carolyn Forche’s Blue Hour which is what, two years old? Yes, I know I get this weird passionate look on my face that the general public doesn’t understand even at Barnes and Noble. Now be a good lad and point me away from women’s fiction.

I’m off to read my treasures. My daughter has me signed me up for a bonding experience with 23 other 10 year olds tomorrow so this may be the only time I see in days.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What conference? I haven't been following long enough to understand what conference she read the poems at before they appeared in Poetry.

Got to hang out with Sharon at Squaw Valley 2004. So I was just curious...

I'll be posting some notes about Sharon and her latest book at my blog in the next week or so. keep an eye out: http://greatamericanpinup.blogspot.com/

early hours of sky said...

I will keep an eye out, I am almost done with that book. The conference was Palm Beach. I was thinking of applying to Squaw Valley because I want to work with Lucille Clifton before I die. Did you like it?

Anonymous said...

Shop online today. Forget driving to the mall when you can just click the mouse and order from your favorite store. No traffic to deal with