Saturday, February 26, 2005

Reading Part II

The Reading went well. I used up almost all of my time—I had two minutes to spare which is damn good for me. I talked a bit, tried the small talk thing. It helped a great deal to have the discussion here on the blog beforehand, it made me feel more comfortable.

I hated the space tonight and it was a full house like maybe 60 to 70 people. The best thing about the reading was the food afterwards. What is it about food after ten o’clock at night? It tastes so good. And I had good friends show up so we laughed and then oddly, someone came up to the table and asked me for my autograph which has NEVER happened before. I was so freaked out by it all I almost spelt my name wrong. My best friend said she had a vision tonight of me signing my book. I don’t know if I will ever feel that comfortable.

Oh and another funny thing was, the woman who wanted me to sign her chapbook said, oh and it would be nice if you wrote something and I thinking, what the hell. So not only did I almost write my name incorrectly I wrote something lame like nice to eat with you.

4 comments:

Peter said...

Teresa:
This is just so funny. I have also misspelled my name signing a book; it is so embarrassing! LOL. Glad your reading went well, otherwise. 60-70 is a terrific number for audience.
Peter

Wendy Wisner said...

So glad it went well!

666poetry-finchnot said...

i'm curious as to what type of space the reading was at & why you didn't like it /

sounds like an awesome turnout for the audience / /

the only time i've ever been asked for my autograph is when my husband worked for nsync & i was on the tour(s) travelling with him / a family wanted my autograph
because i was "with" the show / i didn't give it too them / / i think auto graphs are kinda weird things / big g has a million of them from all the different people he's worked for /

i've also had my pic taken by adoring nsync fans / prolly cause i was just standing beside the bus / lol /


what i think is the best tho - is when some one you don't know comes up to you & talks about how your readings & poetry have affected them / i had this girl come up to me a while ago & she had seen me read @ 5 feminist minutes a few years ago / & she was like / thanking me for the inspiration my poem had given her / she said the piece helped get her through a difficult time / gave her something to reflect on / / so i guess in that respect i've done my job as a poet / @ least that one time - lol


i wish i could come see you read but it's more than an hour's drive away / / maybe one day i will get out to the east again

hope you are having a wonderful day teresa

sorry to be rambling on at such great length

~jx

early hours of sky said...

Thanks Wendy and Peter, they advertised it in some of the alternative papers like Rake and City Pages so I think we had a lot more people show up. And Finchy, the space was bad because there were soooo many people, two couches behind me that of course no one would sit on, a lamp to read by (and we are talking a living room lamp) and like a one foot square to stand in.
I read first so I didn’t really move stuff around. I hate going first. I like hearing other people so I can fix things when I get up there but all and all it was a good reading, standing room only which felt good.