Thursday, February 10, 2005

The poetry gods must be working extra hard this week. I received a phone call yesterday asking if I would consider coming on as a poetry editor for The Cortland Review. It is one of my favorite journals and I have been reading it for years and my thoughts are today that I will try it for three months and see how it works in with my writing. No matter how it all plays out, it was nice to be asked.

I’ve been thinking a lot about how editors shaped the face of poetry and how really good editors respond and work with writers and I guess the universe it answering my questions. Hopefully this will be a good experience and may I never write really horrible rejections letters.


10 comments:

LKD said...

In a Village Voice piece on New Yorkers' New Year's resolutions, Allison Sommers testified that she aspired to "recognize joy when it bites me in the ass." That so happens to be your main assignment during this season of love, Leo. It shouldn't be too hard: The bliss coming your way will not be of the elusive, ephemeral variety. It's got teeth, and won't be in the least shy about using them. Happy Valentine Daze!

Did he just nail your horoscope or what? Damn, I love free will astrology.

So, um, it appears you've been bitten in the ass, dear.

Enjoy!

And congratulations!

Now, where's the line start for the whiners like me pleading: Please, Ms. Ballard, publish me! (grin)

Grinning and grinning at your good news,
Laurel

Ana Božičević said...

Fantastic news! Wield you power wisely... and may editorial inspiration be with you.

Wendy Wisner said...

Fabulous news! I bet it will be fun.

Suzanne said...

Outstanding! This is great news, T!

steve mueske said...

Hey, congrats T. Lots of good things coming your way.

Ess

Ivy said...

Yay! and... Huzzah! :-)

Kelli Russell Agodon - Book of Kells said...

Great news! *Congrats to you*

C. Dale said...

I am sure you will do an excellent job. It is scary at first, but you will get used to it. And then, like me, one day you will wake up and realize you have been doing it for ten years!

Unknown said...

I think the Cortland Review needed someone like you. Geez when was the last time it got updated?

early hours of sky said...

Didi our last issue was Winter 2005. I am not planning to go in and make big waves or anything. I am pretty low on the chain of command.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. I am nervous, more about how it will affect my writing and time and such. Plus I know I am a far better poet than I am an editor but I think it will be a good experience for me besides I get to meet interesting people. Thank you all again for taking time to wish me well, it was very kind.